[Sca-cooks] fruit varieties for cooking

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Feb 10 06:44:43 PST 2004

> > besides, sour was much more usual in cooking (still is)
> Hmmm. There are particular varieties of apples that are better for
> cooking, and I believe pears as well. Do most fruits have varieties
> that are widely agreed to be better for cooking?

Yes. Years of selective breeding or selection for one or the other has
produced varieties that are best for one or the other. There are some
fruits, such as quinces and sloes, that aren't really considered good for
cooking with-- but sloes are primitive relations of the plum, which does
have eating varieties.

> Unfortunately, I'm not sure these cooking varieties are easily
> available, any more. Maybe I just don't recognise which varieties in
> the fruit section of my grocery are specifially for or best for cooking.

The cheapest way to find out is to get a few plant catalogs that feature
fruit, and study the descriptions. Then seek out those varieties in a
grocery store or farm store that carries a wide variety of fruits.

Grocery stores tend to carry fewer cooking varieties of many fruits
because we now mostly buy cooked fruit products pre-made (like applesauce,
cherry pies/cherry pie filling, etc.)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"For so many years gentle has been equated with weakness, but it requires
more strength to be gentle, so it's the everyday encounters of life that I
think we've prepared children for and prepared them to be good to other
people and to consider other people." -- Bob Keeshan (Capt. Kangaroo)