[Sca-cooks] fruit varieties for cooking

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Tue Feb 10 10:01:14 PST 2004

apple varieties are , sadly, hard to find unless you have a darn good
grocery.  i am lucky enough to live near a commercial orchard. they have a
store......

as to Bing Cherries
in my humble opinion........
1. Bing Cherries tend to turn to mush under heat, even WORSE than any other
sweet cherry
2. sweet cherries tend to turn to mush when cooked, while sour cherries hold
their shape much better.
3. this can be used to advantage by chopping a few sweet cherries in with
the whole sour cherries you are cooking, to provide a sweet cherry sauce
with no artificial or added sugars.

4. sugar seems to make the "mush" issue worse..... i think, but am not sure,
that it has to do with drawing the juice out of the cherry.  it does
something of the same thing with apples, but they stay a bit firmer.
Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...