[Sca-cooks] Looking for suggestions...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 10:43:45 PST 2004

>Got some boneless, skinless chicken thighs for dinner. Any ideas about
>something interesting to cook with them?
>
>Saint Phlip,

How about this?
Recipe for a Dish of Gourd Resembling Fish, with which you may deceive the
invalid who desires fish and the like.
Peel the gourd and clean it inside, then cut lengthwise for the width of two
fingers or so; then boil and form a head and tail in the shape of a fish and
leave for the water to drain away; then take a large dish and throw in it
what eggs you need; add white flour, cinnamon and coriander seed and beat
with the eggs; then place in the skillet on the fire with fresh oil, and
when it is boiling, take the fish-shaped gourd and fry; then immerse in
those eggs beaten with flour and spices and return to the pan; then go back
and immerse in the eggs beaten with flour also. When you see that the eggs
are set, return them several times until cloaked with egg and no trace of
the gourd can be seen. Then turn out on the platter and sprinkle with
vinegar and a little murri or juice of fresh coriander or other things.

I use the necks of butternut squash (3 from each neck) and instead of
boiling first, I scrape and cut into planks then cut out the fish shapes,
*then* I boil/steam till almost tender, yet cooked through.  Meanwhile I
make the the tempura thick coating.  I drain the "fish" well and let cool so
I can handle them, heat up some oil in a frypan, dip into coating and quick
cook each side.  Very tastey and fun too!
Olwen, cutting fish tonight