[Sca-cooks] OOP? Raw meat...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 09:36:21 PST 2004

>So the question now becomes, how much of a tradition in the Western World,
>outside of the wealthy  eating Steak Tartare at The Four Seasons or some
>such, existed? Does anybody remember a parent or grandparent, possibly one
>who would sneer at fancy presentations with egg yolks and capers, grossing
>out the kids by eating raw meat on rye with maybe a few pickles?
>
>I'm just wondering if perhaps this kind of thing was more widespread fifty
>years ago than we'd like to believe now, or have been told. Comments? Info?
>
>Adamantius

My uncle Teddy who I lived with as a small on his farm (no electric, well
for water, smokehouse, milk cows, chicken house that I hated to fetch eggs
from cuz chickens are mean, etc) used to go hunting fairly regularly and on
occasion I would go with him.  He was very fond of the raw warm deer liver
and I became a fan as well.  He and my cousins also had a fancy for raw eggs
(poke hole in shell, stir, suck out).  I tried it but frankly would have
starved to death if that were the staple.  Not because of the taste/texture,
just because it was so hard to suck out!  I am still happy snatching bites
of raw meats and prefer my meats pink to red (except fish which should
either be all raw or else cooked through).  On the islands we would eat lots
of odd things from the sea.  Some urchins are good raw, some fish are too.
Skate, shark, etc need to be cooked because they are tough.
Olwen