[Sca-cooks] OOP? Raw meat...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 11:00:13 PST 2004

>Also sprach Pixel, Goddess and Queen:
>>  > Hullo, the list!
>>>
>>[snip]
>>>
>>>  So the question now becomes, how much of a tradition in the Western
>>>  World, outside of the wealthy  eating Steak Tartare at The Four
>>>  Seasons or some such, existed? Does anybody remember a parent or
>>>  grandparent, possibly one who would sneer at fancy presentations with
>>>  egg yolks and capers, grossing out the kids by eating raw meat on rye
>>>  with maybe a few pickles?
>>>
>>>  I'm just wondering if perhaps this kind of thing was more widespread
>>>  fifty years ago than we'd like to believe now, or have been told.
>>>  Comments? Info?
>>>
>>>  Adamantius
>>
>>My German grandparents (well, ok, German and Swedish and Austrian) ate
>>headcheese and blood sausage, and my grandfather used to reminisce about
>>goose fat smeared on rye bread, but I don't remember any eating of any raw
>>meat.
>>
>>The PA side of the family is in part, AFAIK, descended from some
>>Hessians who came to fight and stayed (thus they are also German), and I
>>don't remember any of them eating raw meat either.
>
>Okay. My point was only that the people I know who did, were all of German
>ancestry, and then there's the fact that delicatessens were probably, in
>the 1930's, more ethnically German shops than the
>generic-charcuterie-and-accoutrements-shops that they tend to be today.
>
>I looked up the Luchow's recipe for "Raw Meat Lucullus", BTW, and find that
>their German name for this dish, which is nearly identical to a typical
>presentation of Steak Tartare (basically, anchovies instead of capers), is
>"Schlemmerschnitte", which, I gather, is simply a word meaning "chopped
>meat".
>
>While you may not have experienced it, I think it's pretty hard to deny
>that some German people (and others) did (and possibly still do) this. What
>I'm really wondering is if this was ever, at any time, a culture-crossing
>phenomenon, or regarded as an American thing.
>
>Adamantius

My Uncle Teddy was not born in America.  He was either born in Russia or
Poland as my mothers family lived in both, lastly in Russia where my
grandfather was a guard at the Russian palace, according to my mum.  He used
to tell me that he used to go hunting as a lad with his brothers or father
and do the same thing of eating the liver warm, raw.  My father's side is
two continents, the UK and American Indian.  The indians also are of that
trait from what I understand.
Olwen