[Sca-cooks] was mad cow... now brain sandwiches

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Feb 13 06:36:04 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Brain sandwiches (someone posted)......
> About a month ago I either saw on the food channel or read an article
about
> this diner type restaurant whose 'specialty la maison' was fried brain
> sandwiches.... and people would line up for them!!!
>
> As a child my grandmother made brains once,,,,,, my granddad hated it, but
> politely ate it because his wife made it for him.
>
> ....ah the things we do for love!!
> Phillipa

Well, I had never tried brains until I butchered the lamb at Pennsic. In
line with using up as much of the animal as possible, I included the brains,
and cooked them myself, since I had a recipe (and I was leaving the more
common cuts for the newer cooks).

I had never avoided them due to any distaste, it's jut the few times I saw
them on sale, I had no clue as to what to do with them, so I never bought
them.

I discovered that they're extremely rich, but tasty as I prepared them
(period recipe. that had them cooked in a Hollandaise-type of sauce) and was
very glad that someon had provided some flat bread for the potluck.

They're certainly something I'd try again, next time I butcher, but with my
hobbies, brains usually tend to be reserved for tanning leather- sorta
"Can't eat your brains and tan with them too"  ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.