[Sca-cooks] liver dumplings

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Fri Feb 13 14:44:54 PST 2004

At 09:02 AM 2/13/2004 -0600, Margaret wrote:
>. . . My grandmother is the German
>one, but her father was from Danzig and environs (and apparently one did
>*not* mention that it was now Gdansk in his hearing). So is this really a
>Polish recipe, not a German one, and is there anything like it in period?
>
>Margaret, discovering that much of what I grew up with *isn't* German
>after all

But then again, maybe it really is German after all. Distinctions between
ethnic groups tend to be artificial and exaggerated. Some people will
disown things belonging to their own ethnic group for fear that it might
suggest that they associated with another ethnic group.

For example, there's a Croatian dance-song named Hopa Hopa. A folklorist
named Dick Crum learned the dance and the song from an ethnic Croatian
community. A few years ago he was teaching the dance to some
Croatian-Americans, and they indignantly insisted that it was not Croatian
because the song uses the word "popadiju" which means priest's wife. I
don't know what it's like now, but before the war in the '90s there were
lots of places where Roman Catholic Croatians and Orthodox Serbs lived as
neighbors, so there was no reason to assume that the people who first sang
the song didn't have a popadiju in their town or village.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon