[Sca-cooks] prickly pear fruit

karobert at unm.edu karobert at unm.edu
Sat Feb 14 09:44:51 PST 2004

Quoting vicki shaw <vhsjvs at gis.net>:

> They can be full of the little pricks, many invisible and a nightmare
> remove once they get under your skin, but the ones in the markets
> have
> always been cleaned quite well on the outside, so I have never got
> stabbed
> since Morocco.

lessee... the ranch lady i made the jelly with gathered the fruit and
shook it up and down in a burlap sack to get most of the spines off, and
then peeled with a vertical slice and pull back.  but she still used
heavy gloves she kept for the purpose.

i was relegated to the safety of stirring the pulp and jelly. 8)

really good on a fresh warm tortilla.

cailte
feeling nostalgic, but not enuf to go thru the mess of making some... 8D