[Sca-cooks] Valentine's Dinner

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Feb 15 04:27:05 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/14/2004 8:52:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ekoogler1 at comcast.net writes:

<<What did anyone else do for Valentine's Day?>>

No cooking!  My husband took me to our local dinner theatre for their
production of Jesus Christ Superstar (actually the lunch matinee, as the dinner
performance was sold out).

The food portion (buffet), except for the desserts, was not especially good.
A very basic salad bar, which did have a nice redskin potato and green bean
salad on it, and a collection of pretty typical over-cooked buffet style items
including "cauliflower with roasted garlic" which had no discernable garlic
flavor, creamed brussels sprouts, something called an asparagus quiche which one
of my tablemates described as "sort of an egg custard with green beans in
it", the obligatory mashed potatos and beef gravy, the obligatory lemon pepper
fish (supposedly sea trout in this case), and something which was labelled as
"BBQ pot roast" but which looked and tasted amazingly like overcooked pork roast
with a very lumpy gravy.
The dessert table, on th other hand was impressive.  An apple walnut crumb
cake that was moist, dense, and had visible chunks of apple in it, nice and
spicy; carrot cake; angel food cake with strawberries; dutch apple pie; red velvet
cupcakes; lemon meringue pie; a selection of sugar-free pudding and gelatin;
and cookies, not to mention the ice cream sundae bar.  I also saw someone
coming from the other dessert buffet with what appeared to be pumpkin whoopie
pies.  These are a Lancaster County thing; two rounds of some sort of cake with a
filling in the middle like a sandwich cookie.  The pumpkin ones are usually
pumpkin bread with cream cheese filling, but it's far more common to find
chocolate or even red velvet cake and vanilla cream.  Unfortuantely by that time I
was too full of the 4 desserts I'd chosen to go find out if they were pumpkin
whoopie pies :-)

The show, on the other hand, was quite good.  They get a lot of good talent
at that theatre.  The guy doing Herod was hilarious - a big, burly guy, getting
up and dancing with his chorus girls in a very funny, flaming manner.

Brangwayna