[Sca-cooks] Re: That Scottish restaurant

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Feb 16 06:24:30 PST 2004

>  Wegmans cafe is very good, and the chinese buffet is decent here -
>albeit overpriced.  But, four adults and two Toddlers Rampant isn't the
>most romantic Valentine's day dinner.  But it is a fun thing to laugh
>about for a while :)

Weggies is EEEVILL... sez the gal who grew up in the area where Wegman's
started out, and then on one memorable day had to go to Wegman's fish
counter on a Saturday morning to pick up an order of 5 lbs of
Sashimi-Grade tuna for someone's feast. I suppose if you aren't really
trying to buy anything there, it's ok. ButI hate stores that are
deliberately laid out to make you lost, desperate and hungry so you will
buy more (that's the Wegman's store design strategy; years ago, a reporter
got one of the execs to admit it...)

I spent Valentine's day shopping for my feast; we hit the Amish discount
store (Lantz's, Leola PA) and found wonderful bacon ends and bought eight
lbs; plus they had Alouette garlic herb cheese, 4 packages for $1 so
that's going on the tables instead of/ inaddition to butter. Then we went
to the new fabric discount store and bought yards and yards of cotton
fabric for server's towels (at 2 feet by 9 feet, at least 10 servers, I
couldn't afford linen). We hit Glenwood Farms discount store, which had
pre-cooked roast beef for 1.69 a pound, pity I couldn't use it, and had
the rice at .25 a pound-- but not much else I could use. Then we went to
Shady Maple in East Earl and found top round at 2.19 a pound (a miracle in
these days) and bought 12 lbs, checked to make sure I could get my salmon
from them without pre-ordering, and bought the bulk herbs and spices. Last
stop was the Sharp Shopper discount store, which didn't have much of the
stuff I needed but certainly had the chocolate for the feast crew. :) Mom
is going to the egg store and buying me 15 dozen eggs today-- I want to be
sure that they are at least a week old when I boil the ones for the
hard-boiled eggs!

Thursday is the final shopping-- I bought some shoe insoles so when
Juliana and I go shopping I have a prayer of getting through it without
collapsing! :)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"But he's a human being and terrible things happen to him so attention
must be paid.... Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a
person."  -- Arthur Miller, _Death of a Salesman_