[Sca-cooks] spices for feasts

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 15:59:26 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/16/2004 6:14:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
caointiarn1 at juno.com writes:

<<When getting
groceries for a feast,  I usually just use what spices I have in my kitchen,
or purchase what I think I'll need from my own pocket.  I figure what small
amounts I use aren't that expensive, I know how fresh they are, and if I do
use a whole purchased quantity I can then add it to my budget. If there are
leftovers, by buying the spices & herbs myself, I keep it.   How do other
cooks handle this?>>

Our shire has some containers of spices, all in dated containers so we know
how old it is.  Usually anything I need is in the shire stores, but not always.
 We don't, for instance, keep a store of cubebs or grains around, so I use my
own for that.  But black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and so forth we
nearly always have.  Fresh herbs I buy as needed, and somtimes dried ones
depending on what's in the stores.

Brangwayna