[Sca-cooks] new/old world gourd

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 16 17:53:33 PST 2004

Zucchini is also a New World squash.  The pumpkin Platina was referring to
is likely a basket gourd, Lagenaria siceraria.

New World squash came into use in the early 16th Century.  The ones I've
seen in 16th Century illustrations are pumpkin-like or watermelon-like.
Acorn squash, Japanese squash or a small sugar pumpkin are closer to what is
shown than zucchini or butternut squash.

Bear