[Sca-cooks] Re: Codigniato recipe?

Colleen McDonald colleen.mcdonald at comcast.net
Tue Feb 17 08:25:34 PST 2004

> Oddly enough I have a copy of this (and just about
> every other Italian cookbook in pring that I could
> find through ILL, purchase etc).  I missed the
> original message which recipe were you after?  If it
> was codigniato I believe that there is much more than
> one of them in my cookbooks, which period are you
> interested in?  Early centuries (I.e. libro di cucina)
> or late (i.e. Scappi)
> Helewyse>>

Thanks, Helewyse!

I was specifically looking for a 15th century Venetian recipe for codigniato
that was supposed to be in the Arte della Cucina by Faccioli.  Are there
other codigniato recipes that are earlier than that?  I've checking Platina
(Milham's version), but didn't have handy access to other Italian sources.
I'm preparing condoignace from _Le Mesnagier_ (1393-1394 Paris) as an A&S
entry and was doing a run through of similar recipes from just prior and
just after that from some of the other countries around France.  I don't
think I want to go as late as Scappi, that's almost two centuries later.

Cainder