[Sca-cooks] Re: Codigniato recipe?

Colleen McDonald colleen.mcdonald at comcast.net
Wed Feb 18 07:50:31 PST 2004

> Okay, for us less educated folks, what is this "Codigniato"? What kind
> of food would it be classified as? (Yes, I'm trying to figure out where
> I might put it in the Florilegium as well as know for my own knowledge)
>
> Stefan>>

Condigniato, condoignac, cotignac - are all terms used to describe a quince
paste of sorts.

Le Mesnagier doesn't mention when this dish would be served (at least, I
haven't been able to find it if he does), but Platina says that quinces
should be eaten at the beginning of a meal and with wine or clarified honey
will not trouble the stomach much.  If eaten after the meal, he says they
will rot in the stomach.

Anyone else out there know of instructions regarding where in the meal a
condoignac would be served?

In service, I remain

Cainder
(who asked the original question......)