[Sca-cooks] Re: Codigniato recipe?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 18 12:59:16 PST 2004

In Regional Cuisines of Medieval Europe:  A Book of Essays.  by Melitta
Weiss Adamson, I found the following recipe from

Alessio of Piemonte,  an alchemist.

 This "Conserve or Confiture is made, he says, "as they dooe in Valence,
which also the Geneuoyes dooe use...."three pounds of faier and fine
Sugre" with every "eyght pounde" of washed, peeled, cored, diced, cooked
quince.  This mixture is put over the flame "until all be well sodden,
which you wyll knowe, loke when all shall leuse it selfe, and cleaue no
more to the saied vessel, for then it is sodden to perfection, and all
shall be in time to take it of."  The mixture is subsequently cinnamon,
cloves, nutmeg and ginger, or any combination of these spices,  and then
drenched in sifted sugar and dried in the sun to produce a "comfit".

It produced something like today's Turkish Delight.  This sounds as
though it may produce something similar to the Codigniato we've been
discussing.  The essay also indicates that there is a similar recipe in
Platina.  The author also comments that the recipe occurring in both
places is not a case of plagarism, but rather an indication that it was
a commonly done thing.

I am planning to try this as I think it would be wonderful to use in my
upcoming Italian feast.  I'm not sure whether I'll put it on an
appetizer sideboard or with the desserts.  Any thoughts?

Kiri