[Sca-cooks] food on St Val's day

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Feb 20 06:51:51 PST 2004

Also sprach Betsy Marshall:
>We used to break them open, then peel down along the spirals- this might
>be a regional thing...Betsy

There may also be different regional variations as to the typical
regional shape and definition of "whip" in this usage. I figure
Cosman, growing up in Brooklyn and writing in, I think, Manhattan or
New Jersey (IOW, the same region as me, roughly, and therefore with
similar semantic expectations), may be referring to the pseudo-cherry
red shoestrings, which may be three or four feet long (or more, IIRC)
sort of bundled up, but round in cross-section and only maybe 1/8
inch or less in diameter.

Let's see. Obviously 99% of this stuff is extruded. I remember short,
thickish cylinders, either sliced clean off or snipped while warm to
flatten ends. These were "nibs". Later versions of nibs had several
holes running along their length. There were ribbons, just flat
ribbon-shapes, rolled up, usually. There were also ribbons made up of
individual spaghetti-like strands laid out side-by-side. These could
also be either rolled, bundled, or flat.

Then, of course, there were Twizzlers, kind of a red or black
licorice, seven-inch, penne rigati. I think they made
chocolate-flavored ones at one point, and somebody else is making
fruit candy, like all those fake fruit-leather snacks you see in the
supermarket, in a bazillion fruit flavors, but none of those are
cherry "licorice". These came in maybe 12 or 16 to a package, stuck
together so you had to peel them apart. Still commonly found in movie
theater concession stands, at least around here. It seems as if many
people who wouldn't be caught dead walking around in public with a
pack of Twizzlers _must_ have them for movie-theater use, and for
movie-theater use only. Maybe because it's dark and no one will see
them? I used to like to bite chunks out of them, and bite the ends
off, to make whistles and flutes out of them.

My grandmother was  a partisan of the little, individually-wrapped,
black licorice tablets, which were sinfully hard and quite powerful.
There was, AFAIK, only one brand for these, something
Germanic-or-Scandinavian-sounding. Maybe Lindt? Distinctive little
red, white, and black paper wrappers, twisted at the ends. These, of
course, only existed in the pungent black form (IOW, real licorice),
and you had to suck on them; they were too hard and tenacious to
chew, although strictly speaking they weren't hard-crack candy. Maybe
some kind of carbon-steel alloy mixed with horse-glue; I think
dentists owned stock in the company since the hard-licorice and
dental-repair industries seem to have linked fortunes. We were sort
of ambivalent about these as kids, but after all, what's a little
suffering in the name of the ancient institution of grandma pressing
free sugar on a child?

Adamantius