[Sca-cooks] food on St Val's day

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Feb 20 08:05:25 PST 2004

Also sprach Kathleen A. Roberts:
>--On Friday, February 20, 2004 9:51 AM -0500 "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus
>Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>There were ribbons, just flat ribbon-shapes,
>>rolled up, usually. There were also ribbons made up of individual
>>spaghetti-like strands laid out side-by-side. These could also be either
>>rolled, bundled, or flat
>
>rolled around a round red candy in the middle... looked like
>phonograph records, but really thick.   ah, childhood memories......

In my youthful innocence, I don't think I ever actually saw one of
those, but I remember hearing about them.

>>Then, of course, there were Twizzlers, kind of a red or black licorice,
>>seven-inch, penne rigati.
>
>tain't licorice at all.... i  don't care what anybody says!   if
>it's not black, it's not licorice.  and i shall remain pigheaded in
>this opinion.

That's okay. I was trying to express no opinion other than that the
two are inexorably linked. Obviously candy that contains no licorice
isn't licorice, but tell that to a candy manufacturer.

>but the red twizzlers seem to be pretty popular in the southwest....
>even in broad daylight or office candy jars.   why, i don't know.
>(shakes head bemusedly)
>
>cailte

Pink has fans. Reality TV. Why not red licorice? Actually, compared
to those others, red licorice looks pretty darned good. But then so
does a root canal.

I think the ultimate licorice treat (obviously you have to like the
stuff) is a bar of brewer's licorice, which is sometimes melted and
dissolved (i.e. boiled) into beer as a heading agent.

Adamantius