[Sca-cooks] food on St Val's day

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Feb 20 08:22:52 PST 2004

> >tain't licorice at all.... i  don't care what anybody says!   if
> >it's not black, it's not licorice.  and i shall remain pigheaded in
> >this opinion.
>
> That's okay. I was trying to express no opinion other than that the
> two are inexorably linked. Obviously candy that contains no licorice
> isn't licorice, but tell that to a candy manufacturer.
>
> >but the red twizzlers seem to be pretty popular in the southwest....
> >even in broad daylight or office candy jars.   why, i don't know.
> >(shakes head bemusedly)
> >
> >cailte
>
> Pink has fans. Reality TV. Why not red licorice? Actually, compared
> to those others, red licorice looks pretty darned good. But then so
> does a root canal.

Red "licorice" is ok as long as you consider it red chewy candy with
vaguely fruit-related artificial flavoring. And you can tie knots with it,
and it's useful in making gingerbread houses.

> I think the ultimate licorice treat (obviously you have to like the
> stuff) is a bar of brewer's licorice, which is sometimes melted and
> dissolved (i.e. boiled) into beer as a heading agent.
>
> Adamantius

I found Sen-Sen at a highway gas station a couple of years ago. The packet
I bought is still mostly full, because I don't often get a licorice jones
(except, of course, for now).

Margaret