[Sca-cooks] Pictures from my Illusion Feast

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 09:33:37 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/19/2004 12:11:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:

<<Some folks just don't like the taste of parsley.  In
this case I would guess it would be the flat leaf parsley which is sweeter
that the curly.>>

Actually, I believe the original specifies "parsley root", which isn't that
easy to find.  And I seem to think there are turnips in it as well...yes.  The
original recipe is actually much longer than what was originally posted here.

" 103 Compost.  Take rote of persel, of pasternak, of rafens, scrape hem and
waische hem clene.  Take rapes and caboches, ypared and icorue.  Take an
erthen panne with clene water & set it on the fire; cast alle thise therinne.  Whan
they buth boiled cast therto peeres, & perboile hem wel.  Take alle thise
thynges up & lat it kele on a faire cloth.  Do therto salt; whan it is colde, do
hit in a vessel; take vynegar & powdour & saffron & do therto, & lat alle
thise thynges lye therin al night, other al day.  Take wyne greke & hony,
clarified togider; take lumbarde mustard &raisouns coraunce, al hoole, & grynde
powdour of canel, powdour douce & aneys hole, & fenell seed.  Take alle thise
thynges & cast togyder in a pot of erthe, & take therof whan thou wilt & serve
forth."

I use parsnips rather than carrots for the "pasternaks".  "Rafens" are
radishes and "rapes" are turnips.  I use Ras' redaction to make it, which is as
accurate to the original as possible.  Unfortunately, I don't have it on this
computer - I'll have to find it on the old one and mail it to myself.  (The drives
on the old computer don't work, so I can't just put it on disk and transfer
it).
A lot of people tend to take shortcuts with this recipe, either by  leaving
out ingredients or by condensing the process, or both.

Brangwayna