[Sca-cooks] Doreures et leschefrites

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sat Feb 21 22:44:51 PST 2004

>>  This raises a new question: the recipe for chastletes seems to distinguish between the fillings that retain their natural color and those that are colored with saffron, saunders, or something green (parsley, perhaps); does this mean that only the fillings are colored, or should the pastry be colored too?

I read the recipe as meaning that for the Chastletes it is the five
fillings which are coloured.

> Taillevent isn't helping -- he wants to cover his tower with linen, which suggests that it's not for eating.

Different recipe -- the tower in Viandier is entirely non-edible.

> I wonder if your translator's use of "linen" is correct. Taillevent uses the noun "ratiz"

In the recipe that uses 'ratiz', it is clearly a thin film, and
I think mesentery is the most likely (following Guilbert).  The
'linen' translation is from the other recipe.

Thorvald