[Sca-cooks] Re:hot rock cookery

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 22 11:45:22 PST 2004

Yeah, they do it in the south Pacific all of the time.  When I lived in
Papua New Guinea, they would have a festival where they dug a hole in
the ground.  After heating rocks on a fire, they would line the hole
with the rocks, then a layer of banana leaves, followed by a pig or
chickens or whatever, along with a lot of veggies.  Then they would pour
in coconut milk (unsweetend...they made their own), cover the hole with
more banana leaves, a layer of hot stones, finally a layer of dirt.
This would essentially cook all day and provide an incredible feast at
the end of the day.

Kiri

Devra at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 2/21/2004 7:21:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:
>

>>fianna feasting in the woods on deer cooked by heated stones thrown into
>>a pit, something i don't think i want to try at the average feast site. 8)
>>

>Apparently, however, it does work pretty well.  In 'Prehistoric Cooking', the
>author gives directions for doing  a medium-sized roast this way.  Too bad
>the book isn't available from my regular wholesellers right now. *sugh*
>     Devra (whose garden is so full of tree roots that she couldn't dig a pit
>anyway)
>

>Devra Langsam
>www.poisonpenpress.com
>devra at aol.com

Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
and wisdom to curiosity.
					-- C.E. Lawrence