[Sca-cooks] bananas are herbs?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 08:51:40 PST 2004

>>Now _I'm_ confused. The rosemary bush out back (roughly the size and shape
>>of a 'horta') is pretty woody, especially the older it gets. But could you
>>explain 'gymnosperm' and 'angiosperm' for those non-botanists among us?
>
>angiosperm -- n. group of plants that produce seeds enclosed within an
>ovary, which may mature into a fruit; flowering plants .
>
>gymnosperm -- n. A plant that produces seeds, which are not enclosed;
>includes any seed plant that does not produce flowers.

But rosemary is primarily started from a growth, not a seed.  I am not sure
I have ever seen rosemary seeds.  I've certainly never seen seeds on the
plants and the oldest rosemary hedge I have known was well over 20 years
old!  It was indeed very woody at it's core branches.  The thing just sent
out creepers and it kept sprawling until it was a hedge that went the entire
length of the yard.  Funny thing that.  When the owner of the house died,
the rosemary did too, within weeks.
Olwen