[Sca-cooks] Better than baba ganoush, but is it period?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Feb 27 19:34:22 PST 2004

>On Feb 27, 2004, at 3:07 PM, david friedman wrote:
>
>>Note that both of these have New World ingredients in them (green
>>pepper and tomato)
>
>Yes, I noticed that too, but it was what she asked for.  They look
>yummy but I probably would not bring them to a Society event.
>

>>My favorite period eggplant dip is Badinjan Muhassa (recipe in the
>>Miscellany, webbed on my site), but it's noticeably different from
>>these.
>
>This looks like a related recipe, it's even served the same way on
>bread.  The treatment of the walnuts looks different and
>interesting.  I won't make it for milord husband, he seems to have
>developed an allergy to caraway seed of all things.  How
>inconvenient!
>
>Bon Appetit always,
>Selene Colfox

The original recipe, which is what we give in italics, says nothing
at all about serving it over bread. That's just part of our
description of how we do it. There's a noticeably different recipe
for it in _Medieval Arab Cookery_, but it doesn't mention bread
either.

An example of why it is important to distinguish between primary and
secondary sources.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/