[Sca-cooks] Better than baba ganoush, but is it period?

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Feb 27 20:27:12 PST 2004

>I didn't catch the name of the dish, but it definitely seems more of
>a relation to tapenade. Turkish tapenade, if you will. I have vowed
>to track down a recipe. Anyone have a recipe that's similar, but
>period? Are tapenades period?

This is a quibble, but I think it has to have olives to be a
tapenade.  You sometimes see other spreads called that, but I don't
think it's correct.

Tapenade  - A paste made from cured black olives seasoned with olive
oil, garlic, anchovies, capers, lemon, and marc or cognac. This is
common in Province, where it is served with croutons and raw
vegetables to dip. This also makes a good sauce for grilled meats and
strong flavored fish.

tapenade n : a spread consisting of capers and black olives and
anchovies made into a puree with olive oil