[Sca-cooks] A choice of multiple feasts at the same SCA event

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Jan 15 14:41:06 PST 2004

Several times in the past on this list, I have brought up the idea of serving several types of feasts simultaneously at the same SCA event. This has generally gotten shot down on this list because of the difficulty of producing several feasts from the same, limited set of kitchen facilities.

I still like the idea because it gives those who are just interested in something to eat, and don't care if it is period or not, a chance to get fed and thus they shouldn't complain about the "wierd" food or that it is too expensive. While those who would like a fancier feast can get it, although proably at a higher cost. I also think that a bit of friendly competition between different teams of cooks might inspire these teams to even greater efforts. It also gets around some of the problems of serving a single large 200 people feast with several 70 or two 100 person feasts.

Well, it looks like the feast(s) for my barony's upcoming 25th Year Celebration Event this next fall might experiment with some of this. This is the feast portion of an event overview posted to our local list by the winning bid co-event stewards. At this time I don't have a link to point you to for more details of the event as the bid was just selected at our baronial meeting last Monday. I could forward to anyone who wants it the entire message.

This site is a primative one with no feasthall and no kitchen. So I guess there will be no fighting over who gets the kitchen facilities as each group will be setting up their own. The site now has running water piped in, a minature village is being created and there are currently both a small timber fort and  a timber ship (on the ground) for fighting tournaments and melees. A Shakespearean theater, like the Globe is in the planning stages. The site sites on prime property in the middle of the City of Austin, on Lake Austin.

A food court will be central to the event where lunch will be served
from 2 taverns during the late morning/early afternoon, and 3 taverns
for dinner during the late afternoon/evening.  For dinner, 2 of the
taverns will present tradtional event fare, with the 3rd tavern
presenting a more expensive and elaborate game feast (possibly duck,
pheasant, quail, etc.) for which prepaid reservations will be required.
We will not be having a formal sit down feast but are offering up an
area and an atmosphere with enough time that you may eat and be
entertained without the need to be rushed through a specific time.
<<<<<<<

If you all are interested, I'll post further information as things develop.

Stefan