[Sca-cooks] a cooking club

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Jan 2 07:15:56 PST 2004

Also sprach Heleen Greenwald:
>I plead the fifth!!!
>
>Actually, I *have* to associate with outsiders.... on account of my
>husband's job.  But I guess some of them are kinda cool...huh???
>;-)

Yep. Some people I know in the SCA treat it as a sort of closed
community and real-world substitute; It affects their lives and
colors their speech, and in general I'd be the last person to be
concerned about people fraternizing with Outsiders ;-). I was just
messing with you.

>Phillipa,
>who is guessing that the first cooks club will be tur-duc-en because
>everyone went crazy over the idea.  (But we are going to get together to
>look at medieval reciepes first  <in an evening> and I am going to have a
>few goodies out to temp them.  ie: gingerbread.... Can't think of what else
>at the moment,,,,,,, wish I could get my hand on a bottle of meade.

Little darioles, chewets (little fist-sized meat pies), payn ragoun
(sorta-kinda pine-nut fudge). There's a million possibilities.

But then, you're in a cooking club, not a period cooks' guild, and
even if historical cookery were the main intent, there's a lot of
fascinating stuff that is worthy of reconstruction, even though from
outside of our period.

Although I understand the desire to contribute from within your own
experience... but Turkducken sounds fun, too.

_I've_ never had turkducken. ;-(

Adamantius