[Sca-cooks] Good recipes for fresh eggs?

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Wed Jan 7 17:16:33 PST 2004

It is more than a fritata, Adamantius because it comes out as high as a cake
and it is baked in the oven.  But first the egg and potatoes and veggies
after they are mixed together are poured into a pot where oil is first
heated high but not to smoking.  The oil immediately cooks the eggs on the
outer edges, and then the pot is put into the oven for about an hour.  If
the pot has a non-metal handle, I just cover it with foil first.  When it is
springy on top it is ready.  The potatoes are coarsly crushed so that they
break up into small pieces.  If the pieces are too big, the slices will hold
their shape when cut.  I cheat and buy bags of frozen mixed veggies, just
carrots and peas.  I add salt, pepper, paprika and some minced garlic for
flavoring.  When the egg cake is out of the pot (when cool), I place it on a
nice round platter and surround it with lemon quarters.  Yummy!

As for its earliest form, I couldn't tell you.  My grandmother also used to
make it with brains.  Might be horrible to some, but it was quite delish.
Angharad

The above sounds like a close variation of a
tortilla española, which is quite similar to what
Italians would know as a frittata. In Spain,
frequently found in tapas bars and a common
packed-up lunch staple (and much more fun than
PBJ). I wonder when it actually does originate in
its current form, though, since I assume that
even Spanish Jews fleeing the Inquisition didn't
have access to potatoes  prior to 1492.

Brighid, is there anything like a tortilla di
papas/tortilla espanola in Granado?

Adamantius