[Sca-cooks] Good recipes for fresh eggs?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 18:47:57 PST 2004

Also sprach vicki shaw:
>It is more than a fritata, Adamantius because it comes out as high as a cake
>and it is baked in the oven.  But first the egg and potatoes and veggies
>after they are mixed together are poured into a pot where oil is first
>heated high but not to smoking.  The oil immediately cooks the eggs on the
>outer edges, and then the pot is put into the oven for about an hour.  If
>the pot has a non-metal handle, I just cover it with foil first.  When it is
>springy on top it is ready.

So far, still sounds like a tortilla (whose quality can be measured
by, and for whom it is a source of pride, to be _taller_ than that of
the lady's next door), and a frittata, which are, in theory, cooked
in a pan on top of the range, but which are sometimes finished in the
oven anyway, in practice. When they're that thick (you kind of push
them together toward the center, both in the early "scrambling" part
of the process, and when turning the cake over), there can be a
tendency to burn on the outside before the center is done. Of course,
in a perfect world, this would be unnecessary because all cooks are
consummately skilled ;-).

>  The potatoes are coarsly crushed so that they
>break up into small pieces.  If the pieces are too big, the slices will hold
>their shape when cut.  I cheat and buy bags of frozen mixed veggies, just
>carrots and peas.  I add salt, pepper, paprika and some minced garlic for
>flavoring.  When the egg cake is out of the pot (when cool), I place it on a
>nice round platter and surround it with lemon quarters.  Yummy!

Sounds like it; the lemon is a nice, fairly unexpected, touch, but
just the thing to add some zip when the thing has reached near room
temperature.

>As for its earliest form, I couldn't tell you.  My grandmother also used to
>make it with brains.  Might be horrible to some, but it was quite delish.

Yeah, it might sound horrible to some, but then again, if people
spent less time worrying about what other people ate, the world would
probably be better off. I'm a little queasy about eating brains
myself, but as part of a frito misto, or in some other form where
the... ahem... visual and textural issues are addressed... yum.
Certainly no more nasty than eating eggs, if you want to think about

Adamantius