[Sca-cooks] baby bok choy

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sun Jan 11 15:29:53 PST 2004

Also sprach vicki shaw:
>Thank you for all the interesting information.  As for MY too much
>information down at the botton, well that was just a joke, but you know
>that.

That's okay. Some people don't understand when I speak of opening my
tool case and getting out my 10-inch Dick. (And other helpful list
members usually say, "Yeah, I was there, and I saw him get it out.
And he even let me hold it!")

>I had a roomie once from Beijing who spoke Mandarin and cooked Mandarin and
>she taught me a lot.  The best thing she ever taught me is not to forget you
>are heating hot chilies in the dry skillet and walk away!  We had to run out
>of hte house after she ran to the kitchen and turned off the fire because
>the smoke was burning our eyes!
>She actually ruined me for Chinese restaurants in America.  Once you get a
>taste of the real stuff, restaurants are at best ersatz.

I may have a little advantage here, living in a big city with a large
and mixed Chinese and Chinese-American community. I haven't had quite
as discouraging an experience, although there are plenty of bad
Chinese restaurants out there if you know where to look for them. I'm
heartbroken to report that The Magic Lantern, my local
hole-in-the-wall that secretly sold real Chinese food to certain
select clientele, and half-fried-chicken-fried-rice-and-no-onions to
those who preferred that sort of thing, is now closed, the space now
devoted to some yuppie foolishness or other. At around the same time,
we lost The Joy Luck Restaurant, which for maybe 85 years was the
primary (and almost the only) place to get family-style Toysan
cooking, things like steamed pork patties with salted duck eggs, or
various greens cooked with fermented bean curd cheese (like
watercress or amaranth greens in a sauce a bit like salty, melted
Camembert) It seems like some of the Cantonese restaurants are taking
up some of the slack, but not many. It's probably simple reality that
the demand for this type of cookery, in the face of changing
immigration patterns, is not high.

Adamantius