[Sca-cooks] Safety in the Kitchen

Jane Boyko jboyko at magma.ca
Sun Jan 11 17:43:18 PST 2004

Hi everyone

I am giving a lecture at our local practicum on safety in the kitchen.  I have
quite a bit of information and want to round it out more.

I have a few questions which I hope the answers you provide will allow me to
address things I have not thought of.

1.  What do you do to protect yourself in the kitchen from injuries?

2.  Do you bring your own first-aid kit?  If so what do you consider
essential?

3.  Do you have any personal "problems" and what steps to you take to look
after yourself - proir, during and after the event?

ie.  I have plantar fascitis and low back problems.  Therefore prior to an
event I see my chiropractor, I increase the amount of stretches I do and try
to make sure I get a good sleep for the week prior to an event.  During the
event I try to remember to stretch the problem areas a couple of times, wear
good shoes and change them, ensure I sit a couple of times to rest my legs
and back.  After the event I see my chiropractor within two days, do more
stretches, have epsom salt baths and see a massage therapist.

I hope to be able to write a paper from my lecture to put into our Kingdom
newsletter.

Thanks for any advice, stories and ideas you may have.

Marina