[Sca-cooks] Safety in the Kitchen

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Sun Jan 11 18:03:25 PST 2004

Hi there!

1) Besides wearing an apron (to protect my cooking garb from 'injuries'),
and glasses instead of contact lenses, I must admit I don't do much, besides
the usual common-sense precautions, such as making sure pan handles are not
in harm ways, same goes for knives, etc...

2) Our shire owns a first aid kit which is on every event site, so there has
never been any need of bringing my own

3) Sorry, no... My major problem is that I'm very goofy, hence the
non-negligeable portion of food that winds up on my apron while I prepare
the feast :-)) I also generally forget to eat, but my lady now makes sure
that I feed on something during the afternoon. After the feast I'll
generally buy myself a poutine (french fries, cheese curds and gravy... It's
the most unhealthy dish ever, but it sure does some good after 15 hours in
the kitchen!!!!)

I would also add a point 4: how do you protect others, i.e., the people who
will eat your feast. Basic stuff such as washing hands, tying your hair,
setting apart a special set of dishes to deal with nuts and raw meat, etc...

This could include the people who help you in the kitchen. Often at events
where no specific children activities have been planned, 2 or 3 kids will
wander in the kitchen and offer to help. The younger ones are very
enthusiastic runners, water carriers, and I'll let them carry foodstuff that
is not too warm from the kitchen to the feast hall (or secondary kitchen).
The older ones I'll trust with knives if they want to do more kitchen work,
but I'll always make sure to keep an eye on them.

Petru cel paros Voda