[Sca-cooks] red curry paste v green and army food

margali mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 18:44:17 PST 2004

also, when meal planning for pennsic, picking things that are
[generally] period, require fairly simple preparation [things like beef
ystewed, or seethd neeps, long slow cooked stuff] is a must.

5 years ago phlip was astonished at how little work my middle eastern
duckfest was, the hardest part was when the hummus we had went funny,
and we had to make white sals by sitting there and pounding the walnuts
and garlic, and mustard and whatnot together into a paste. was a lot of
fun, husband rob and i sat there and chatted and sang and pounded for
about 2 hours to make enough. came out nicely, used sumac and dried
parsley to make a nice elaborae swirl pattern on the top even though it
wasnt mentioned in the recipe=) would have been nice to have had a huge
mortar and pestle, but what we had and used was freezer ziploc bags and
pounded with discharged propane 1# cylinders=)