[Sca-cooks] A couple of things....

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Mon Jan 12 18:53:46 PST 2004

Also sprach kattratt:
>Hi Folks finally checking in for real again...
>Christmas,
>Ok I just had to gloat and puff up my tail feathers here...
>3 Cookbooks, Some Large Bamboo Steamers to replace the small ones we
>killed (finally) 2 years ago..., a new cutting board, and a 10 inch
>Henckle!!!!!! And oh boy is it sweet to use!!!  And What a Bargain
>on the price!!!!!!!!
>
>Which leads me to the next bit of business...
>
>Master Admantius!!!
>I was reminded that I never Thanked You for your suggestions for
>my/our New York City trip!!!  The Nice Restaurant was
>Exquisite!!!!!!!!!!  Five Points... Having seen the movie I could
>actually see the site properly! Chinatown was wonderful and the
>shopping was fabulous!!!  If anyone wants a good suggestion for
>internet shopping I will send you the address of the store we
>visited!!! That 10" Knife I mentioned was less than $80.00 and YES
>IT IS THE REAL DEAL!!!
>The impromptu market that popped up as we were walking down Broadway
>was really nifty and I would want to shop there every day for the
>evenings meal.  incredible.  For those who have never been might I
>recommend a trip to NY City if you can!!!

I'm sorry if I dropped off the map for a while at around the time we
discussed this last; I had started out as merely killer busy and then
ended up less busy and killer sick, followed by killer sick and a
messed-up back. It meant a lot of time in bed, grumpy and in what
some might call an inadequately cleaned apartment... Now I just have
a messed-up back, which is veeeerrrrryyyyy ssssssslllloooowwwwlllyyy
healing. Not-Being-Nineteen-Years-Old strikes again!

I'm glad you had a good time; one of the things about New York that I
love most, apart from the fact that you can find pretty much anything
you could possibly need or want, if you know where to look, and the
whole Kosher-Thai-Delivered-At-3AM thing (a random and made-up
example), is the weird juxtaposition of a cutting-edge urban setting
with the ever-so-occasional atmosphere of a medieval marketplace.
(Which reminds me, did you see the Egg Cake lady in Chinatown?). So,
in addition to the antiques and not-so-antique-flea-markets on Sixth
Avenue in the 20's (only on weekends, though), you have the people
that sell antique jade from tables along the sidewalks on the Bowery
end of Chinatown, the markets that spill out of stores and onto the
sidewalks (which includes the restaurant supply houses on the Bowery,
north of Chinatown and south of Greenwich Village , the row of shops
run by Hasidim in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, that are pretty much right
out of the nineteenth century, and where a smoked fish lover can
spend most of a day, just browsing... in short, I love the Temporal
Displacement Via Spatial Displacement aspect of life in New York...

Henckel? HENCKEL??? Harumph!

All right, I like Henckel knives, but I have to maintain my old
allegiance to the ever-popular 10-inch Dick, even though Henckel is
probably really a better knife for someone who knows how to use
them...

Again, I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed yourself, and I'm sorry I
missed it myself.

Adamantius