[Sca-cooks] lemon curd

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Thu Jan 15 10:13:04 PST 2004

Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
>A comparison between commercial lemon curds:
>http://www.detnews.com/2002/food/0211/17/c09-9821.htm
>but nothing is better than home-made, in my ever-humble opinion.
>
>The process of making Lemon Curd is an acid-fat emulsion not unlike
>the making of Hollandaise Sauce, so my gut-level guess is that it's
>no earlier.

I'm not so sure about the chemistry of it being quite the same. The
amount of butter is less than in your average Hollandaise, there's a
butt-ton of sugar in there to stabilize it, and as far as I know, no
special care needs to be taken to keep it from breaking (actually
less of a problem for Hollandaise than most people think...
nevertheless...). I think it's a pretty simple mixture, kept smooth
by the sugar, the egg yolks, and the butter itself (butter, under
normal circumstances, is already an emulsion, at least until you heat
it).

>As usual, it's MAW-BAH [Me At Work, Book At Home] so if someone
>could look in Mrs. Beeton's under "Lemon Cheese" as well as Lemon
>Curd, there might be something there.  Or I'll check later in the
>day.

I have a newish, non-facsimile coffee-table edition with photos, so
mine might not be the best edition to check, but the indexed entries
under lemon are:

Lemon Brandy
lemon juice
Lemon Mincemeat
Lemon Pudding, Baked
Lemon Sauce for Boiled Fowls
lemon thyme
Lemonade
lemons
Lemons, Pickled

Somebody else's MMV. I seem to recall finding early recipes for the
cheesy form of it in Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book and/or Martha
Washington's Boke of Cookery.

Adamantius