Sheepskins Re: [Sca-cooks] back to food was PETA

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sat Jan 17 23:24:27 PST 2004

> Ok, so if you intend to preserve the hide with full fleece, how would you
> go about the butchering? IKEA has some lovely sheep peelings with nice
> thick *white* fleece, but they're fairly narrow, so I'm guessing that they
> get pretty aggressively trimmed before they get tanned.

Well, many years ago my mother bought a flock of sheep-- 3 ewes, one ram,
and a neutered male (wether?). Anyway, the neutered male was sent out to
the butcher and the fleece-on hide was tanned while we had mutton for the
freezer. As I said that was many years ago so I don't have any idea how
they did it-- but the resulting hide was definitely sheep-skin-shaped.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens
can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
-- Margaret Mead