[Sca-cooks] back to food was PETA

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Jan 17 23:25:49 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Ok, so if you intend to preserve the hide with full fleece, how would you
> go about the butchering? IKEA has some lovely sheep peelings with nice
> thick *white* fleece, but they're fairly narrow, so I'm guessing that they
> get pretty aggressively trimmed before they get tanned.
>
> Margaret

Same as you would any other hide- long slit from the throat to the genitals,
remove the entrails,, circle the genitals and throat, then long cuts from
your initial cut to just above the hooves, and circle the feet.

Then, when you peel the hide off, you start at the top, which if you've hung
the critter by the tendons means starting at the hind legs, just above the
hooves, and basicly roll the hide off, only using your knife the sever the
connective tissue between the skin and the muscle mass. Not very difficult-
just takes attention to what you're doing, and a bit of extra care around
the areas where the bone is closest to the surface. But, hanging the animal
makes the entire process a WHOLE lot easier.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.