[Sca-cooks] back to food was PETA

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Jan 18 08:29:50 PST 2004

There're actually specific names for fleece that's taken from the skin
of a dead animal, as opposed to harvesting it through shearing. (rustle,
rustle....tromp tromp tromp as maire schleps into the living room to get
her book from the bookcase)  It's known variously a pulled wool, skin
wool, slipe wool, tanner's wool, glover's wool, and fell wool.  Dealers
in the product are called fell-mongerers.  Pulled wool has been used for
centuries in textiles that are heavily fulled: Hudson's Bay "point"
blankets are just one [such] item.
--maire (above info taken directly from _The Aldon Amos Big Book of
Handspinning_)