[Sca-cooks] Re: Shepherd's Pie

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Wed Jan 28 06:08:51 PST 2004

It may have more to do with what's reasonably cheap-and-available,
because the shepherd's pie or cottage pie variants I've run across all
seem to be of the "I've got a limited food budget, what kind of
inexpensive casserole can I make to feed my family with" variety.  There
are certainly sheep here (state of MT in the NW US), but they're far,
far outnumbered by beef cattle.  So hamburger is easily found, and one
of the most inexpensive forms of beef, while lamb/mutton, if you can
find them at all, are several dollars a pound more expensive, and
definitely considered a luxury item.
--maire