[Sca-cooks] Re: Shepherd's Pie

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Jan 28 06:30:50 PST 2004

Also sprach tracey sawyer:
>Amazing -- you use minced (ground) beef for shepherd's pie!?!!
>
>In Australia it has always been minced mutton (or lamb) left over
>from roast lamb dinners.

For whatever reason, there seems to have been some equivocation
between cottage and shepherd's pies.

>In our (admittedly short) history, as shepherds herd sheep - not
>cows - and the mutton was available for them to cook and eat,
>presumably at the cost of raising them, where they would have had to
>pay cash money for beef, it has ALWAYS been sheep meat.

Geography will do that... we are primarily a beef country...

>Diced beef is "goulash"

Which I'm sure everybody from the old Austro-Hungarian Empire finds
screamingly funny, too ;-)

>  and ground beef is Mince Meat (just to confuse the issue, mincemeat
>(one word) in minced up dried fruit.

Formerly known as Collops, which is also kind of funny because once
upon a time, a collop was a little cutlet-like entity...

>-- Isn't it interesting the variations on a theme you get, when you
>cross national/international borders.

Sure is. And when countries are large ones, it's somehow even more
interesting when you find regional variations within what otherwise
appears to be the same culture.

On a totally unrelated note, and I do apologize for putting you on
the spot, but you should probably trim your digests when responding
(if that was you). I just removed about six pages of text; I think it
makes it easier for others to deal with.

Adamantius