[Sca-cooks]Mock Apple Pie? (was "Tuna Cassarole")(was:Shepherd's Pie)

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Wed Jan 28 19:56:09 PST 2004

You know, I find it strange on a list devoted to medieval cooking, dedicated
among other things, to persuading people that foods from this era are not
nasty, over spiced, brown glop that you condemn other cooking in exactly the
same way.

uuuuUUUUUuuuuUUUuuuUUUUuuuuu!  About Mock Apple pie by someone who
admittedly has never tasted it.  What is the difference between this and the
standard uuuuUUUUUuuuuUUUuuuUUUUuuuuu of the uninitiated feaster when told
that the food will all be made from period recipes?

I've had Mock Apple pie several times, cooked by someone who was a good pie
baker.  It was delicious.  It was Not apple pie made from fresh green apples
in the early fall (my personal favorite), but it was quite tasty and
refreshing, and had enough apple pie taste to satisfy the craving.  It was
good food.  The lady who made it usually did so in the winter after apples,
even the keeping variety, were in short supply.

If you actually tried the dish made by a competent cook and didn't like it,
you have a legitimate input.  Otherwise I don't see a difference between
uuuuUUUUUuuuuUUUuuuUUUUuuuuu mock apple pie and uuuuUUUUUuuuuUUUuuuUUUUuuuuu
authentic medieval food!

Regina Romsey