[Sca-cooks]Mock Apple Pie? (was "Tuna Cassarole")(was:Shepherd's Pie)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Jan 28 20:39:46 PST 2004

Also sprach Wanda Pease:
>You know, I find it strange on a list devoted to medieval cooking, dedicated
>among other things, to persuading people that foods from this era are not
>nasty, over spiced, brown glop that you condemn other cooking in exactly the
>same way.

It's crossed my mind a couple of times in this thread, and maybe it's
worth throwing out a general reminder -- this isn't directly in
response to Mistress Regina, nor do I take issue with what she's
said, but it might perhaps support the idea that I'm not alone in
thinking about this:

Could we please consider that _it is possible_ to not like something
without speaking disparagingly of it, or condemning it?

To be honest, I've bit my tongue and avoided making what seem to me
to be mandatory eggplant cracks about 40 million times in the
Shpeherd's Pie thread alone, each time I hear about who doesn't like
peas, or who sees kale on the opposite side of some unspecified
quality coin from "bland mixed vegetables".

While I am interested in everyone on this list, and in everything
everyone has to say, I must confess I can't get all worked up about
who doesn't like peas, canned, fresh, or frozen, unless perhaps the
person is a guest in my home (and sometimes, not even then!) And
while it's fine not to like them, maybe we could remember that it's
not, strictly speaking, necessary to voice our every dislike, and
when we do, maybe not sound like we're trying out for the criticism
Olympics?

Just a thought that's been brewing in my mind for a couple of days
now. But at least it had nothing to do with eggplant. <shudder> ;-)

Adamantius