Food like/dislikes AND medieval bread WAS RE: [Sca-cooks]Mock Apple Pie?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Thu Jan 29 05:38:41 PST 2004

Also sprach Generys ferch Ednuyed:
><Shrug> I can't say as how voicing one's dislike of a particular food (or
>food group ;-) is that different than voicing ones liking of it...

The difference is vast. First of all, voicing one's approval
virtually never makes one sound like a petulant, spoiled brat or a
religious fanatic (neither does disapproval, necessarily, but
sometimes it does either or both). Secondly, speaking of the things
one likes, or referring only passively to those things one doesn't,
is less likely to foster hurt feelings among, and be inferred as
criticism of, those people who feel differently.

>  And if we
>eliminate THOSE two topics, well, what on EARTH would we talk about <grin>?

Does the term "straw man" ring a bell? I don't think anybody
suggested we not talk about dislikes, and certainly I never suggested
we not talk about what we like. I suggested we consider talking a bit
less about what we dislike, and not express those dislikes in any
more negative terms than is necessary. And while we're at it,
expressing those dislikes as opinion and not as empirical fact would
probably also be a good idea: so, for example, points off for the
gentle on another cook's list who said, this morning, "whale meat was
the consistency of liver, which somehow precluded checking out what
it really TASTED like, but caribou was much more edible." Can you
think of a way to say substantially the same thing without a strong
implication that whale meat, and also liver, are inherently inedible?
I can think of several, and all of them make it clear that this is
just my opinion or perspective.

It's not a big deal. It's just that we, as SCAdians, tend to hold our
behavior to a high standard, and this is a way I feel we could
improve.

And besides, what all the fuss about peas and non-kale vegetables is
about, with horrible, slimy, bitter, seed-filled eggplant that was
clearly born of a demon's backside, sitting there just begging to be
criticized as the Joey Bottafuocco of vegetables, is beyond me...

*Ahem*. Sorry. I was imprecise. I _meant_ to say, that eggplant looks
lovely, but with all the other delicious foods to choose from, I
haven't had a chance to try it lately... note to self: try eggplant
at earliest opportunity.

Adamantius