[Sca-cooks] Eggplant

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jan 30 21:16:37 PST 2004

>ata girl, Anahita!  and dont you hate ersatz moussaka with thick slabs
>of half cooked eggplant?  now that is where I would enthusiastically
>join the chorus of blekhs and eeeews!
>My mother always peeled vertical strips of the skin, then slice the
>eggplant and place it in a colander and she would salt the eggplant and
>let it drain;  then she would rinse it, pat dry and then fry by dipping
>in eggwash and then bread crumbs that she seasoned herself; no boxed
>bread crumbs in Morocco - at least not back then. (I like cornmeal; xtra
>crunchy).
>
>what are OOP vegetables?

That depends on your definition of OOP.

Vegetables that came from the New World and were probably not in
common use by 1600 (but were known to exist, and presumably had been
eaten by somebody in Europe) include tomatoes, potatoes, vegetable
peppers (i.e. capsicum), all of the standard modern squash and
pumpkins (although there were some similar old world vegetables, at
least one of which is still used in Chinese cooking). I've probably
left something out, but those are the main ones--assuming you count
maize as a grain rather than a vegetable.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/