[Sca-cooks] now chilies

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Jan 31 10:32:26 PST 2004

>You said the magic word, CHIPOTLE!! I found in Stockholms most
>exclusive foodstore (the same store a lunatic stabbed to death our
>Foreign Affairs Minister for two months ago) a lot of dried and
>fresh chilies. I bought dried chipotle, ancho and arbol and fresh
>habanero and japaleno.
>Anyone knows how to use the dried chili peppers?
>Ana, novice in chilis..

One basic way to use ancho and other dried peppers is to roast them
on an ungreased skillet until they release their flavor, but don't
burn.  Be careful roasting very hot peppers, the fumes can burn.
Remove to a bowl and cover with water until soft, 20-30 minutes.
Remove the stems, and some of the seeds (depending on how hot you
want it, I'd start with removing most of them).  Then put them in a
food processor with as much of the soaking liquid to let them process
(again be careful of fumes).  You can add this chili sauce to many
stew or chilies, it has much more flavor than just adding powdered
chili.

Ranvaig