[Sca-cooks] an interesting semi-disaster

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Jul 23 16:45:24 PDT 2004

Ok, it's bloody-friggin ugly hot here in Portland. At the moment 101. Hot
weather doesn't like me, and I'm on thyroid drugs, so I'm not doing well.
So I decided to make sekanjabin.

Well...

Bought two bottles of vinegar last night. My usual red wine vinegar, and a
bottle of raspberry vinegar, because it sounded good.

Started up a batch with the raspberry, puddling around the house, checking
every couple of minutes.

Well, apparently it got too hot. As it cooled it got hard to stir. As I
poured it into the bottle, it looked more than more like molasses, only...
thicker. I had a little extra, so I poured it into a pitcher to make up.

Well, the bottle now has a lovely clear raspberry/vinegar candy in it.
Semi-chewy, sticks to dental work. The stuff in the pitcher melted only a
bit, there's still  blobs in the bottom. And I know it will become a rock
when I put it in the frig.

So... has anyone else ever accidentally made sekanjabin candy? Does anyone
have ideas for getting it *out* of the bottle? Can anyone send 'cool air
from Canada' before I become an orange puddle?

'Lainie