[Sca-cooks] 1950s Spaghetti Casserole

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 24 02:40:40 PDT 2004

I went through my mom's recipes and found this:

1 8 oz package spaghetti
1/2 lb ground beef
1 egg, beaten
1 3/4 cups (14 oz.) spaghetti sauce
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup (1 oz) grated Parmesan cheese

Cook spaghetti as directed on package; rinse with
cold water and drain.  Toss with egg, 1 cup of
Mozzarella and Parmasan cheese.  Lightly spray
8" square pan with cooking spray.  Place
spaghetti mixture in pan.

Brown beef in medium skillet on medium heat and
drain off fat.  Stir in spaghetti sauce.  Cook
on low heat 5 min.  Spoon sauce over spaghetti
mix.  Top with remaining Mozzarella cheese.
Bake 375 deg. for 15 min.  Let stand 5 min.
before serving.

I hope this is what you wanted.

Huette

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> OK, so this is WAAAY off topic, way out of
> period,
>
> My Grandma's Swedish cook used to make a
> moronically simple spaghetti
> casserole... i can't quite remember it - i
> search the web and
> everything i found had other ingredients, but
> this one was just
>
> cooked spaghetti noodles
> 1 little can tomato paste
>
> then i get foggy...
>
> i think it also had
> 1 small can of tomato sauce (the hunts or del
> monte kind, made
> without much more than tomatoes)
>
> and i think it might have had
> 1 can condensed tomato soup (straight out of
> the can)
>
> Mix the red stuff with the cooked noodles.
> Butter a baking casserole dish.
> Dump spaghetti into it and smooth out.
>
> Bake (dunno the temperature - doesn't almost
> everything work at 350 F. :-)
>
> It was not particularly wonderful hot out of
> the oven, but put it
> covered in the fridge and the next day it was
> great.
>
> Cut a slab and fry in lots of butter...
>
> Definitely something not on the Atkins and
> South Beach Diets.
>
> Does anyone remember this? I'd like to fill in
> the missing details.
>
> Anahita

=====
shall never cease to be amused.