[Sca-cooks] 1950s Spaghetti Casserole

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 23 15:36:44 PDT 2004

On 7/23/04 2:01 PM, "lilinah at earthlink.net" <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:

> OK, so this is WAAAY off topic, way out of period,
>
> My Grandma's Swedish cook used to make a moronically simple spaghetti
> casserole... i can't quite remember it - i search the web and
> everything i found had other ingredients, but this one was just
>
> cooked spaghetti noodles
> 1 little can tomato paste
>
> then i get foggy...
>
> i think it also had
> 1 small can of tomato sauce (the hunts or del monte kind, made
> without much more than tomatoes)

My mother and her sisters have made their spaghetti sauce like this from the
50's to the present:

1 lb. ground meat--beef, veal or whatever, browned with
1 onion, chopped

Drain the fat, then add to this:

1 soup-sized can of chopped tomatoes
3 or 4 small cans tomato paste
1 or 2 large cans tomato purée
salt, pepper, garlic to taste.

Simmer all together for a couple hours, then serve over spaghetti.

I like it better the next day, cold or reheated, makes little difference to
me!

Selene C. [for carbohydrate?]