[Sca-cooks] an interesting semi-disaster

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 23 19:48:48 PDT 2004

Gee, I thought it only got hot in Oregon whenever
I visited ...

It has been almost as hot here.  My week hasn't
been good.  I have been invaded my hundreds of
ants and my two year old Maytag freezer died.
The Maytag repairman had to come out twice before
it got fixed.  He didn't seem lonely or bored to
me ...

So I have been loading a lot of semi-frozen food
into ice chests and then reloading said food
back into now working freezer.  I am totally
exhausted and the heat hasn't helped any.

I have never made sekanjabin candy.  Do you want
to save said candy?  Or just remove it from the
bottle?

Huette

--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:
> Ok, it's bloody-friggin ugly hot here in
> Portland. At the moment 101. Hot
> weather doesn't like me, and I'm on thyroid
> drugs, so I'm not doing well.
> So I decided to make sekanjabin.
>
> Well...
>
> Bought two bottles of vinegar last night. My
> usual red wine vinegar, and a
> bottle of raspberry vinegar, because it sounded
> good.
>
> Started up a batch with the raspberry, puddling
> around the house, checking
> every couple of minutes.
>
> Well, apparently it got too hot. As it cooled
> it got hard to stir. As I
> poured it into the bottle, it looked more than
> more like molasses, only...
> thicker. I had a little extra, so I poured it
> into a pitcher to make up.
>
> Well, the bottle now has a lovely clear
> raspberry/vinegar candy in it.
> Semi-chewy, sticks to dental work. The stuff in
> the pitcher melted only a
> bit, there's still  blobs in the bottom. And I
> know it will become a rock
> when I put it in the frig.
>
> So... has anyone else ever accidentally made
> sekanjabin candy? Does anyone
> have ideas for getting it *out* of the bottle?
> Can anyone send 'cool air
> from Canada' before I become an orange puddle?
>
> 'Lainie

=====
shall never cease to be amused.