[Sca-cooks] an interesting semi-disaster

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Jul 23 20:08:12 PDT 2004

At 07:48 PM 7/23/2004, you wrote:
>Gee, I thought it only got hot in Oregon whenever
>I visited ...

It usually doesn't get this hot until late August, and then only for a few
days. We've had unseasonably hot weather off and on for several weeks now-
mostly on. And the A/C in the Volvo died...

>I have never made sekanjabin candy.  Do you want
>to save said candy?  Or just remove it from the
>bottle?

Well, I dug some out with my finger- it's roughly the consistency of jelly,
but firmer, if that makes sense- maybe jelly that's been in the frig too
long? I'm sure that if I'd pulled it, I would have had taffy. Or rather,
would have if it hadn't been so bloody hot today. It's sweet, obviously,
but tastes only faintly of raspberry, which is probably because what I
taste is that slightly-burnt sugar-that-got-too-hot taste.

Problem is, thinking that this was going to be like regular sekanjabin
syrup, I put it into a nifty bottle- one of those bottles that the
pomegranate juice comes in- the one that's shaped like Mae West. :-) I'd
kind of like to use the bottle again, for a batch of sekanjabin that
doesn't turn into candy. But how to soften it up? I'd put it in the
microwave, but I'm afraid that would only solidify it. Then I would have
sekanjabin Jolly Ranchers!

Sun.tea.is.good.

'Lainie