[Sca-cooks] Re: Iron Chef Milk cheese

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Wed Jul 7 05:03:40 PDT 2004

Yes.  There are a number of dishes that use fresh curds or cheese-type
things as the main or only ingredient.  IIRC, there are a few recipes in
_Take a 1000 Eggs_, which I still haven't acquired, dagnabit, that have
you making a fresh cheese dish by curdling milk with ale and such, and
slicing the resulting cheese.  I think there's one, as well, that has
different colors added to it, to fake bacon, which can then be fried.
So the precedent is definitely there.  Sorry I can't be more specific,
but I don't own the cookbooks--just got to look at a friend's, once.
The cool thing about the queso blanco, as I understand it from my little
cheese book, is that it doesn't melt when cooked (kinda like
anti-velveeta, I guess), so it can be stirfried, etc., rather easily.
I'm not a chemist or professional cook, but I've always figured that
property had something to do with the way the proteins were coagulated
with the weak acid, rather than a rennet or culture....
--maire